Born in a family of musicians, daughter of Vidwan Sri. Gurumurthy Thangavelu (who is a well-known mridangist for Bharathanatyam and Kuchupudi form of dances), Maragadhavalli is the granddaughter of Vidwan Sri. Krishna Pillai, who is the first mridangist in India to tour abroad and Vidwan Sri. Govindaraj Pillai, who had been proposed by Mysore Maharajas to become Asthana Vidwan (Court musician) in the Mysore Kingdom for his unique performance of tabla called TABLA TARANGAM, where seven tablas and mridangam with a brass pot, small in size filled with water on a head, are utilized.
Maragadhavalli. G started learning carnatic classical vocal at the age of seven from Vidushi Smt. Saroja Natarajan, Vidwan Sri. Gade Sathyanarayanamurthy (M.A. in Music), Vidwan Sri. Paramashivan, Vidwan Sri. Sundareshan (Thirupugazh and Thevaram) and Vidwan Sri. Vinayagam, Vidwan Sri. Salem P. Sunderasan, Vidushi Smt. Vatsala Bhaskar and presently undergoing professional-level training under the guidance of Nada Brahmam Prof. Sri. T.V. Gopalakrishnan of Chennai and Hindustani classical vocal training from Ubhaya Gana Vidushi Smt. Shyamala. G. Bhava.
She is a first class degree holder in Bachelor of Arts from the Bangalore University and she has completed M.A. in music from Madras University. She has performed in various places such as Chennai, Hyderabad, Secunderabad, Thiruthani (Tamil Nadu), Nagari (Tamil Nadu), Mysore, Arakonam, Andhra Pradesh, Kolar Gold Fields, Thirupathi (Devasthana Asthana Mandapam), Dharmasthala. She has performed in various television channels, namely Doordharshan Kendra of Karnataka i.e., Ddi, Chandana Regional Channel of Karnataka i.e., Dd9 and Udaya T.V. Her overseas concerts include Europe tour with the group called Rhythms of Shakti in May 2005 and they have performed at London, Bath City, Nottingham for International festival called Bath International Music Festival in association with Asian Music Circuit and British Arts Council.
State Level Competitions:
- First prize in the senior level Classical Vocal category conducted by Geetha Sangeetha Prachara Mandali ®.
- First prize in senior level Classical Vocal category conducted by Rotary Club of Bangalore.
- Special prize in the senior level Classical Vocal category in the year 1998 conducted by Geetha Sangeetha Prachara Mandali ®.
- First prize in the senior level Devaranama (Vocal) category conducted by Indian Institute of Music and Arts ®, Bangalore.
- First prize in the senior level Classical Vocal category conducted by Indian Institute of Music and Arts ®, Bangalore.
- First prize in inter-college competition
- First prize in the senior level vocal category conducted by R. T. Nagar Cultural Association.
PERFORMED MANY CONCERTS IN SABHAS
- Indian Institute of World Culture ®, Bangalore.
- Geetha Sangeetha Prachara Mandali ®, Bangalore.
- Indian Institute of Music and Arts ®.
- Rotary Club of Bangalore.
- Iskcon, Bangalore.
- Ramakrishna Gana Sabha ®, Bangalore.
- Brahmana Samooham – Sita Rama Mandir (Ramanavami Festival).
- Sri Guruvayurappan Bhajana Sabha Trust.
- Sree Ramaseva Mandali ® Chamarajapet, Bangalore.
- Indian Heritage Academy (Koramangala).
- Arunagirinathar Festival – Kolar Gold Fields.
- Sri.Saint Thyagaraja Aradhana Mahothsava at Thiruvayaru, Tanjore.
- Mysore Dasara Festival, Mysore.
- Nadha Neerajanam at Thirupathi Thirumala Devasthanam.